June 16, 2011

You Don't Need Inspiration to Inspire

Write two paragraphs, delete one, decide the other one was better, and become frustrated again. Why is it that some days words fly from our fingertips and other times nothing comes to mind?

When I was thirteen, I first became aware that writing was "my thing." I was chubby, awkward, and lonely. In my free time, I began to write stories of places I'd rather be, things I'd rather experience; I'd wish myself away from the torture chamber that is middle school.

All my friends would read my stories, demanding for the next chapter...until the chapters stopped coming.

Not too long after realizing I was a writer, I realized that sometimes, there's just nothing to write about. Sometimes, you'll write and say nothing, nothing at all. The words will cover the page, but they mean nothing. Ahh...writers' block:/

To me, writing is like having a relationship with God. You don't do it because it's fun. You don't do it because it's easy. You don't do it because it makes you feel good. You do it because once you've experienced it, there isn't life outside of it.

When I get writer's block, I seek inspiration from myself. I'll look at my old blog posts, poems, stories, and remind myself that my words mean something. Even if most of my posts are mediocre, the few that touch have the power to touch makes the rest worthwhile. God has given me a gift to inspire, to encourage, and to push people to see, to want, to act. I can't just abandon that. I can't leave behind the something that creates the very fiber of my being.

In my mere eighteen years, I've learned that when you've lost your passion for life, you have to remind yourself what brought you that passion and seek it with all that you have. You have to dive in headfirst, even if you think you're no longer talented, or if you believe you're no longer wanted. Sometimes, the only thing left to do is just go, and keep going. Your passion, your drive--your fervor for life will come back and be stronger than ever.

Here are some practical tips to help you keep pushing through...
1. Don't over edit. If it's not working, it's not working. Erase and start over.

2. Walk away for twenty minutes, after you write your first draft. Doing it first will invoke more procrastination, but waiting will help your revising flow better. 

3. Sometimes you just need to click "post." That's part of the process, not everything can be said perfectly, but that doesn't mean it doesn't need to be said. 


*This was done as a part of the Creative Blocks segment by "Standing on Giants" http://thoughtsaboutnothing.com/creative-blocks-20-somethings/

5 comments:

  1. MJ - you're insanely wise for your age, especially when it comes to writing. I wish I could write like this when I was 18. Incredible. I'm so proud of you. I can't wait for you to sign my copy of your first book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice thoughts. I liked this, "You do it because once you've experienced it, there isn't life outside of it." I remember feeling that same way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jeff! Maybe I'll do that one day! After I graduate from law school.

    Eileen, thank you! It feels crazy to be quoted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, sometimes you do just need to hit publish. that is a tough one but needed

    ReplyDelete