October 24, 2012

Why are you here?

"Every time you say yes to something, you're saying no to something else."
When I first came to college, my older brother would tell this to me every time we talked. He warned, do everything you want, just don't do to much...I didn't listen.

I've become addicted to being busy, to having new experiences, and making new friends. However, when one decides to take this road in life, it is very easy to get your priorities mixed up. I know I did.

Last week, there was an alcohol education session and the speaker asked one simple question at the beginning and the end of the program--Why are you here?

Why are we here? What are we doing? Why are we doing it? I'm not sitting here trying to ponder the meaning of life, but to take a minute to seriously ask myself, what do I want out of life? Five years from now, ten years from now, what do I want my life to look like? More importantly, how can I get there, and what habits do I need to form or break to get there?


Is my college experience going to be about the parties I went to? Or the abundance of organizations I joined? Is it going to be about the outfits I rocked? Is it going to be about the grades I got? The choices I made? The times I had to decide which organization was more important?

College is about finding yourself, but at the same time, you are supposed to be shaping the person you want to be for the rest of your life. A professor told my brother when he was in college that the habits he developed there would be with him for the rest of his life.

I'm not saying that we can't be silly, or go out with our friends, or mess up every now and again. I'm saying, how can we help ourselves become the people we were meant to be? How can we go from being the people we are now to the people we want to be?

I have a great life. I work hard, but I also take some time to realize, some time for myself.

If you can create and keep a balance, your life will be much different, much better. College isn't just about creating a great resume, but becoming a well-rounded person. Do you want to write? To paint? To travel? To workout? Maybe you want to be funnier, or you want to learn piano. Now is the time to do that.

There's a million cliches people use about the importance of seizing the day and living life to the fullest, but you have to take a minute to ask yourself, "what do I want? Why am I here?"

To take full advantage of life, you have to give yourself to something, and you can't give yourself to everything. It becomes deeper than "what do I want," and instead becomes, "what do I want more."

 You may have to lose sleep, make difficult compromises, and learn some things the hard ways, but sometimes that's the only way to realize what we really love and what we just love the idea of.

10 comments:

  1. get really addicted to something good. don't leave college until you know exactly what you are going to do next and how you are going to do it. college experience is overrated. you won't take all your drinking buddies all the way to the grave. take things that will help you long-term. college is so stupid these days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your brother tweeted that you could use some advice. :-)

    Not long ago, I wrote a blog post called "Dear Twentysomething" that I think you might enjoy. And there's a link to a blog with other people's letters to their 20 year old selves. Good luck. It's simpler, so much simpler than it looks like from where you sit. And it gets so much better.

    http://kellyasimmons.blogspot.com/2011/12/dear-twentysomething.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really liked your blog, definitely a different approach to giving young people advice. I guess that's the question I'm pondering, what are these years for?

      Delete
  3. Marissa,
    Love your conclusion. "What do I want more?" My daughter and I have these discussions frequently as she is trying to "discover" who she is, what she wants, what she needs....etc. I shall send her to your blog to glean as she wrestles through this. She will be able to relate and sometimes that is all we are looking for. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. All we want is to know we're not alone, that someone out there, somewhere feels the same way we do. I hope I can be of help to her!

      Delete
  4. Marissa-
    Awesome blog. :) I felt like I was reading some of my own words I wrote in college. I just graduated this last May. As I was trying to think of the best way to respond, I was reminded of a couple things. The first is the time this summer I opened my college transcript I received in the mail and looked over the grades I got in each class. I did pretty well GPA-wise but I'm definitely not the best student. Before I left for college my parents gave me some great words of advice: The first was "College is about the experience." The second was " Have fun, work hard, walk with God." I looked over my transcript and said "Man! I wish I wouldn't have worked so hard!" Don't get me wrong- there were some classes that turned my world upside down and I loved pouring myself into those classes. But I wish I would have grabbed coffee with that person instead of studying an extra 30 minutes for that test. I wish I would have lost sleep over praying than lost sleep over worrying. I realize that I'm all over the place, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think it's more important to form the habit and the heart of loving God so we can then love ourselves and fruitfully love others- more important than forming the best work ethic or best study technique or throwing ourselves into organizations so we can put it on our resumé. What I'm learning post-grad is simply that God calls us to LOVE, no matter where we are or what job we're in or who the people we most interact with are. And I think walking with God will help us find the balance of it all because His Spirit dwells in us. Don't forget that the learning process goes beyond college. Keep asking these good questions, but don't get so caught up in answering them, that you miss the experience. You'll learn so much from even just looking back at it after it's done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really appreciate the feedback. I definitely need to seek HIs face more, than it is for sure. Because outside of that, nothing lives, or feels, or loves.

      Delete
  5. I found my way here via Jeff. In fact I was talking to my 20 year old son this weekend about some of the same issues. I think your brother would make a great mentor and he may just hear from him.
    That being said, the people you attach yourself to in college may be the most important decisions you make. Find people that are accountable, authentic. people who will pray with you and for you and tell you the truth. We do activities because of the relationships they create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff is not just my older brother; he's been my role model for the last nineteen years. He's an amazing man, and he has a heart for young people because all his life he's mentored his younger siblings. I love that you said,"authentic." It's such a hard thing to find these days.

      Delete