December 17, 2012

Even Celebrities Need Humility

Tonight, I feel empty inside. I'm not broken, but I'm longing. I feel unsatisfied and unfulfilled.

Call me dramatic, but tonight, I watched the last episode of Gossip Girl ever and I finished the Great Gatsby. There is something about characters that lead rich and extravagant lives that entices us, draws us in, and makes us long to be a part of  their world.

I cannot help but find parallels between my personal life and the lives of the outsiders clawing their way in. Dan Humphrey, Gossip Girl's own lonely boy from Brooklyn, and Nick Carraway, Gatsby's curious neighbor, were not that different from each other...and not that different from me.

In high school, I was pretty odd. I designed my own clothes and had a quirky personality. I said things for shock value and I wanted to save the world. I guess I've become a little more "mainstream" since then.

I was never popular, but I've always been friends with popular people. I was everyone's favorite outsider.

When I came to college, I began to find myself. A year ago, I thought I had everything figured out, but little did I know, my journey had just begun. I had thought that one semester shaped me into the person I was meant to be, but I was only just getting started.

Second semester of my freshman year, I exploded. I got real involved real quick and I began meeting tons of people. The funny thing is that once you meet tons of people, you will always be meeting tons of people. You get a core group of friends who then introduce you to their group of friends and so on and so forth.

This fall, something odd began happening. I would see people, or rather people would see me. Strangers began knowing who I am and who I was friends with. Once in September, a friend introduced me to someone and she said, "I know exactly who you are."

Wow. I make jokes about being a celebrity, but when people started knowing me and noticing me, it shocked me. It still shocks me.

I had stepped up my game through fashion—reserving my peasant clothes to after-hours library sessions. I worked my networking skills. I even landed myself an internship that is a stepping stone to my dreams.

And last week, someone looked at me and said, "I want your life. Your life is perfect."

Um, what?

Somehow, somewhere along the way, I have made people think that I am the person worth knowing. I played the role of the coming-of-age misfit to social butterfly all too easily.

That's exactly what it was, too—a role. I created a role for myself in which I was the shining star, much like Dan Humphrey did for himself. He wrote himself into their world to prove to them that he was worth being there, to trick them into thinking he already was.

When you're playing a role, you learn one truth—you can't play forever. It is a role because it is meant to be temporary. It will either envelop you or release you into who you were before. Too often it's the former.

Blame astrology or seasons or whatever you choose, but different identities are easy for some people to swap and to switch, day in and day out. Though swapping identities or living a dual life may not be necessarily wrong, it is exhausting.

It's tiring convincing people you're perfect, even if that's not really what you're trying to do. It's tiring to live up to who someone else expects you to be, no matter what it looks like. No one is single-faceted and we cannot allow people to depict us like that.

You know what? I am a fashion blogger. I talk A LOT. I am dying to own a pair of Louboutin shoes. I like Lilly Pulitzer. Dancing gives me freedom. Bacon makes me smile. I could post memes of Gossip Girl all day long. I can quote every line of Mean Girls.  I love my sorority. ElleWoods inspires me.

You know what else? I acknowledge that I am nothing without Christ. I have high aspirations for myself which include law school. I love meeting new people, and taking time to just get to know them. I plan on being at least tri-lingual one day. I've been writing since elementary school. Late nineties alternative bands like Third Eye Blind intrigue me. I make really unattractive facial expressions when I'm alone with my friends.

My brother once said to me, "You're better than you believe, but not as good as you think." He's right. I'm capable of so much more than I believe. I am a child of God, and a blessed one at that. However, I am not God's gift to the world (or even my university).

These words are true for you as well. No matter what your personal beliefs are, know you are worth something in life. Know you are capable of achieving great things, but know which things in life are lasting and which are fleeting. The approval of man won't last forever and it won't keep you whole.

Dan Humphrey may have gotten what he wanted in the end, but what did he have to sacrifice to get there? What do we sacrifice to achieve our dreams? What if we realized that achieving our dreams could mean something?

What if our dreams change? What if our dreams become someone else's dream and we are able to make a miracle happen?

With the impending holiday season, it doesn't seem right to act selfish and live our lives as if we reign inside our own world. How are we going to choose a role that means something this holiday season? How can we take the conflicting sides of who we are and morph them into a person with not only integrity, but power and passion?

This year, (given the world doesn't end on Friday) I'm going to take the superficial qualities I seem to possess and use them alongside my more practical qualities. My ability to make friends is so much more than a quest for new closets, but can be an opportunity to reach out to a variety of people that are broken.

I look at the world and what's happening, and I can't help but think all the superficiality, and most of the practicality, in our lives is futile. Children are being shot in their classrooms, people are starving, dying--everyday. Let the real reflection be what can we do with what we have? What can we give?


Let's be honest—we're all takers here.

22 comments:

  1. Love that you're learning this. Humility is one of the greatest lessons we learn as leaders and difference-makers. We can't make a contribution to the world until we get over ourselves — I really believe that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff. It's a struggle, but it's one I'm working through.

      Delete
  2. So beautiful! I aspire to realise these things. I want to be able to be wholly me, with no pretences and with complete integrity.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciate it. Integrity, now that's the hard part.

      Delete
  3. Great post. Love your honesty. Great writing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate the support.

      Delete
  4. Love this post. Refreshing, honest and grounded. Full of wisdom. This is a great lesson to learn so young, and one we all need to be reminded of. It's great writing. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I believe humility is a lesson we all need to learn, again and again. Thank you for the encouragement!

      Delete
  5. These words are deep, raw and profoundly touching. I appreciate your transparency and look forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is so encouraging. Make sure to subscribe.

      Delete
  6. I like your writing style. It just drew me right in...even though I told myself it's time to get off FB and do some cleaning. Keep up the great work! I look forward to reading more. What type of interning are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that your procrastination lead you to my blog. I hope you get your cleaning done ;) I am interning for a fashion blog called College Fashionista. I'll be taking pictures, writing articles, and running social networks. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful words that stir my soul. Playing a role --- I too can relate. I played a role for years and lost myself in the process. Thankful for your wisdom and that you learned much earlier in life than I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Role playing doesn't seem to help any of us in the end, now does it? It's fun...at first.

      Delete
  8. Love this post...certainly gives me food for thought. And I too once played a role that wasn't me. You have such wisdom and insight.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have unleashed some inspiration. Thank you for the encouragement. I hope you continue to read my writings.

      Delete
  9. Keep writing. You are a voice for your generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I plan to. I hope to inspire young people to understand similar ideals.

      Delete
  10. Marissa, thank you. I wish I had the wisdom and strength that you do when I was your age. I'm at a point in my life where I'm working toward finding myself, my faith, my path. It's much more difficult now that I'm a bit older and have children, but those things also make the journey more worthwhile. I now find myself playing a much different role: the person I want to be. I've spent years putting on a facade, and now I'm shedding it to learn who I really am. So sometimes, roles are useful. They can show us different sides of ourselves and help us choose the right one. Best of luck in your internship. I look forward to reading more of your brilliant insights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm glad my words touched you.I think the journey of finding yourself is just that--a journey. There is no definite endpoint. I'm really excited about my internship! Be sure to subscribe!

      Delete
  11. So well put. I especially identify with the approval of man. I was so wrapped up in that for so long. Even when you identify this, it can be enticing, to be loved, approved of, popular. But there is a cost and your speak of it with clarity. God bless you with your dreams and may He fulfill the ones He has made you for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that honesty tremendously. I think that no matter where we are in our lives, the human longing to find favor in man is always clawing away at us. I have so much faith in my Lord and Savior that every plan He has for me that He will see to fruition! I'm so excited to watch the changes in my life as I grow with Him.

      Delete