June 6, 2011

Redemption

Today, my sister she told me she wanted to go to Seminary. Six months ago those would have been the last words I would have expected to come out of her mouth. I would have expected her to say that maybe she wanted to move to New York to try to make is as a model, or Los Angelos and become an actor. Sure, she loves God; she's a great person, but she had never been concerned with difficult things. Things had always come easy for her.

My sister is beautiful. Most people think their older sisters are beautiful, but everyone thinks my sister is beautiful. She's thin, she's toned, and she knows how to work it. All my life I have been jealous of this jaw-dropping being because I got the short-end of the DNA stick, er, well strand.

Lately, though, things have been different. She's still beautiful, yes, but she's no longer shallow. She's thin, but no longer broken. She's working, but it's something much more substantial. (She's the only person I have known to get a job in their field BEFORE graduation.)

She and a very good friend of mine are launching a campaign called "Be Your Own." Be Your Own is short for "Be Your Own Prince Charming." It is dedicated to showing women around the world that they are worth something on their own. They are smart, beautiful, and strong, on their own. They don't need a man to save them. They don't need to wait on their lives to change. Whether it be a college graduate with a cruddy job in the suburbs, or a young women in Thailand selling her body to feed her children, Be Your Own is teaching women that they don't have to live like this. To describe it my sister said, "holding onto God can save you from misery, abuse,etc. You don't have to wait on a miracle...because it's already there."

That miracle is redemption. Redemption is about being able to be made new. Redemption is about no longer strapping yourself in bondage because God has so much more out there for you. I have seen my sister redeem herself through Christ and nothing has ever been more beautiful.

I wish my sister the best of luck in all her future endeavors, whether or not that is seminary. I encourage her to keep pushing, keep polishing, keep seeking His face in all that she does. I encourage her to be her own Prince Charming, and I am blessed watching her do so. Now, I see my sister as so much more than just a princess, but a reigning queen. One who's ready to take control and make changes in her own life and the lives on those around her. I could never be more proud.

Rhea Nicole, I love you.

3 comments:

  1. I just cried....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree; I see many of the things that you do. Remember that you have the blessing of being with her one hundred days for every day that I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you too, Reese. Thank you... You're words tear my heart open in the sweetest of ways...

    ReplyDelete