June 10, 2011

To Rush or Not to Rush?

Being a recent high school graduate means that you have an easy conversation topic with anyone you meet. First, they congratulate you, then they ask what you're doing with your life and hoping you aspire to do more than keep your minimum wage job. They usually proceed to ask about your choice of major, and how you're going to pay for college. Usually the conversation ends there, except when you're dealing with your family...

There has been a lingering question among my parents and siblings, are you going to rush?

For those of you unfamiliar with the Greek system, Rush (formally called Recruitment) is a period of time when rushees (usually incoming freshman who want to be in sororities) sample each of the different chapters to see where they best fit. During the week, if a chapter wants you, you'll be invited to special events at that house. At the end of the week, if they've expressed interest in you, they'll give you a bid (an offer to join). You can either accept or deny a bid, and once accepted you become a pledge.

My brother was Greek. My sister was Greek. My mother wanted to go Greek (my sister and I told her she was too old for it). It'd be natural for me to go Greek as well, but I don't know...

I love the idea of being surrounded by about a hundred other girls who are there to support me. I love the idea of being able to share clothes with my sisters. I love the idea of formals, Greek Week, and other fun events. I love the idea of built-in friends, that I am connected to thousands of girls across the country. I love the idea of having alumni connections. I love the idea of being in an organization bound on tradition, philanthropy, and bonding. 

However, I don't fit in with any of the stereotypes that are associated with Greek life. I am not thin. I don't party. I don't have the energy to steal anyone's boyfriend. My family doesn't have a lot of money. Boys who wear visors make me want to vomit. I don't want someone to try to change me or slowly mold me into [insert letters here] ideal.*

I've always been an individual and thought that I would never be in a sorority. I thought those girls were superficial and petty, but now I watch my sister. I see her have cookouts with my dad, share secrets with her sisters, and get ready for formals. I don't want to look back on my college experience and regret not being a part of those things. 

This fall, I will get my first glimpse of Greek life during Rush. There I will decide whether or not I want to pledge any of the possible chapters. Maybe I'll find a group of girls who will exemplify the set of ideals I want in a sorority, and if not, I'll still meet a lot of people. People that could very well become close friends of mine.

Who knows, maybe I'll start a chapter of ADX? ;)

*I understand that these are indeed stereotypes, and not a representation of all Greeks. These can be a part of Greek life, but are not present in all chapters. I do not mean to offend any Greeks. 

4 comments:

  1. Jeff, you were Greek! and I don't know if I'm going to pledge or not, but rushing is a great way to meet people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please rush!! Or start an ADX! That would be ideal ;) I love you!! You won't regret it after you join a sorority. I promise!! And Jeff was in a fraternity... maybe he wishes he didn't.. but the fact is at one point he wanted it enough to do it.. Maybe if he didn't he would've regretted it... I know if I hadn't I would regret it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah. I am definitely rushing. I just don't know if I'll actually pledge or not. Good point, sis.

    ReplyDelete