May 15, 2012

YOLO

Many people walk through life thinking that people don't change. If growing up has taught me anything, it is that people do change. Absolutely everyone changes when put in different circumstances. Some for the better, some for the worst, but everyone changes.

In high school, everyone had a set identity. You were defined by what your peers thought you were, whether or not it was actually true. In college, you are given the opportunity to create your own identity. 

I blossomed in college. I jumped headfirst into everything I thought was remotely interested. I became friends with a variety of different people, and joined a variety of different organizations. I tried, and I cried. But I lived, and for once created a life for myself.

The majority of people I graduated with are now living the same life as they were a year ago. They have the same friends, they still live with their parents, and they are going to a local college. There isn't anything wrong with experiencing what I like to call "13th grade," but these people are missing out. Everyday, though, they are given a choice to change their lives and they can either take it or leave it.

When you decide to take the opportunity, you will change, but only because you chose to. 

Look at your life. Are you living the life of your dreams? Are you living a life that means something? Not just academically or professionally, but morally and spiritually as well. 

I had lunch with some old friends today, and we talked about the obnoxious trend of "YOLO" meaning you-only-live-once. Somehow, it's become a catchphrase used to justify any questionable behavior. Honestly, though, you do only live once. If you only live once, though, how do you want to live?

Do you want to live chasing your dreams? Chasing boys? Chasing alcohol? Chasing money? Chasing God? 

Most of what we chase isn't wrong, but much of it is futile. Today I agreed with these friends, that this summer we would chase the right things. We will chase God, but we will also chase adventure. We won't live in fear of missing out, but we won't live in fear of failure either. This summer, we're going to take YOLO and live by it. We're going to live lives that we won't regret living. We're going to spend time with our families, and go on silly road trips. We're going to have daily devotions, and dance like hooligans on my birthday. 

No matter who you are or what you believe, you only live once (except if it's reincarnation, then you can just kind of ignore this whole YOLO thing). How do you want to live? 




*photo was found on "ghettoredhot" via Google Images


No comments:

Post a Comment