May 16, 2012

Counting Calories

This summer, I started using a calorie-counting app for the first time ever. I'm not trying to do some sort of extreme dieting, but I'd like to know what I'm putting into my body. My parents have told me, "Marissa, you're being ridiculous. You're beautiful the way you are." I can't help but wonder if my parents are completely oblivious to the Freshman Fifteen (or, twenty, or well, more).


To me, calorie counting is not about physicality. I count calories because I want to have control over my life. I want to be aware of what I do and how to stop it. Everyone knows that the first step to overcoming a weakness is admitting it. It is not until we admit a problem and lay it out on the table that we are able to take steps towards fixing them.

I am always writing about bettering myself and bettering the world, but these messages do not mean anything if people don't understand how to act them our practically. If we take the time to write down our problems and acknowledge them, we are given a starting point. From there, we can decide to change and start imposing little changes to improve our everyday lives.

What is something that you can improve? What can you start monitoring to change it? Leave me a comment with your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment