May 18, 2012

Home?

Home is not a state. I don't really know whether or not to consider Alabama or Illinois as my home state. Home is not a city. I don't really claim Waterman. I don't really claim Florence. It seems a little early to call Birmingham home. I don't feel as comfortable as I once did in Florence, so home is definitely not where your family is. I think Birmingham is slowly becoming my home, but right now I can't be there. In a sense, I feel homeless. 

I suppose, though, home is whatever we want it to be. It can be a place or a feeling or a person. It's anything we want to lay claims on. What does home mean to you? 

1 comment:

  1. About a year an a half ago my grandfather was very sick in the hospital in San Jose. Dad and I went to spend new year's with him.

    I remember that during that time I had a strong sense of not belonging in the city. I felt homeless in a context so much different than the one in which I grew up in. Up til' then, for me, home was a place.
    The first time I saw my grandfather in the hospital, I was by myself. I remember very clearly feeling that all sense of context disappeared as soon as I saw him. All that was real for me in that moment was the strong love that i felt towards Grandpa, at that time more than ever. I felt that I truly belonged there in that moment with him. He was delirious, but I still held his hand and sat there for a few hours. I told him about how much i loved him and all about what was happening in my life, and in Monteverde.
    In the waiting room I reflected about what home really meant. More than a place, I figured, I find home in sharing love with others no matter the context.

    ReplyDelete