February 22, 2014

FOMO, Effects of YOLO

This weekend, I had nothing on my calendar. I am not joining my group of friends in Morocco. I'm not having a sleepover with my sorority sisters. I'm not going to a music fest or travelling to a neighboring country. This weekend, I have been staying in Granada..and staying away from Instagram.

I often struggle with the fear of missing out (FOMO). I see my friends landing awesome internships, getting accepted into grad school, marrying the loves of their lives, and travelling the world and suddenly, everything that made my life unique seems insignificant. 

I know you're thinking, but Marissa, you live in Spain. How could you possibly feel like your life is uninteresting? 

The truth is, I know I am blessed. I know that in the grand scheme of life, this is a time in my life that will be packed with stories that proof to show my future children that I was actually cool once. I know that this semester, I have chosen specifically to study abroad in Spain. I chose to live in Granada for four months. I am not here to tour every national monument east of the Atlantic or backpack to every bar in Western Europe. I'm here for to learn more about Andalusian culture...and myself. Everything else is extra.

Studying abroad on a budget leads to many moments of FOMO. No, I cannot go to Ireland next week. No, I cannot buy churros con chocolate everyday. No, I cannot take a taxi everywhere I go, but rather I embrace those 45 minute hikes to pretty much anywhere civilization lies.

However, I think about how only two months ago, I was quite envious of my friends studying abroad. I was jealous of the stories and the pictures and the reminders on social media that their lives were so much more interesting than mine. I think about how many of my friends, some who I hadn't talked to in awhile, said that they were living vicariously through my pictures.

I think about how yesterday, I went and explored my city and found a park with a zip line and a store that sells gypsy clothes. I think about how I popped my head into a karaoke bar and ended up dancing with a crazy old man to a love song I didn't understand. I think of the friends I've made and the music video I helped them make today. I think about how this weekend I saw the caskets of Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand, the monarchs responsible for the Spanish Inquisition and sending Christopher Columbus to America. I smile as I curl my aching toes knowing that my life here is anything but boring.



I don't have to go to Africa to find joy. I didn't even have to cross the Atlantic. The truth is some of my favorite moments have happened in Rast Hall and Mervyn Sterne Library. They have happened in the Florence Taco Bells and my family's living room.

Living life to the fullest is not about the cities we visit or the items we check off our bucket lists. Missing out only truly happens when we are living a life in which we are not at peace with ourselves. As I replay the events of this weekend, I can proudly say that I am happy with the choices I've made and the person I continually choose to be. Missing out implies that we are not doing what everyone else is doing.

When has a story ever been born from following the status-quo?



3 comments:

  1. Great perspective "missing out implies that we are not doing what everyone else is doing." Getting yourself to the place where you can find yourself in the moment, whatever it might be, is challenging but yet so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Life is one big path to self-discovery (among other lessons). I am glad my words spoke to you. Make sure you subscribe so you can hear more from me.

      Delete
  2. I really impressed after read this because of some quality work and informative thoughts . I just wanna say thanks for the writer and wish you all the best for coming!.
    witch clothing

    ReplyDelete