December 7, 2011

Every End is a new Beginning

This morning, I just started to cry. As I approach the end of the semester, I think about beginnings. My friends and I have been away from home for four months and I think we are just now starting to get a good look at what we want. I'm not the only one with a new beginning. My mom is graduating this semester. I know people graduate college all the time, but those people aren't my mom. My mom has been going to college for literally twenty years. When my older brother, Jeff, started school, my mom started taking classes. The only problem was that she kept having kids. Not long after Jeff started school was Rhea born. Before she was even in school, I was born. Mom was part-time when I was in second grade. She had been doing well, BUT then Patrick was born. Patrick is now in the third grade, and my mom is about to graduate college. She has been fulltime at the University of North Alabama for two and a half years. She is graduating with a degree in Sociology. This isn't even the best part, my dad is also done with his FIRST semester of college. For those of you who know him, my dad is one of the hardest working, most passionate people I know. He has been out of school for thirty-something years and he decided he wanted to go to school. He went full-time, and did not even take any remedial classes. He's given it his all, and it's nearly run him dry, but he's done it. And I could never be more proud.

Growing up, there was a lot of pressure on me to do well academically. My brother was kind of an academic superstar. He had pretty much a full-ride to college, graduated magna-cum laude with a double major, and studied abroad. He married the woman of his dreams, and he's just an amazing person. He ended up working for a mission organization and freelance writing. In the past year, he bought his first house and signed a book deal. (Whoever says you can't live off your dreams, obviously wasn't a dreamer...or a Goins)

Needless to say, Rhea and I have a lot to live up to. Rhea was also VERY smart in high school. It seemed like she never tried. Things seemed to come easy to her. She was smart, beautiful, and great with words. She ended up getting an amazing scholarship to UNA. She's graduating in May or August with a degree in Broadcast Journalism. She is the only person I know who ended up getting a job in their field BEFORE graduation. She works over 40 hours a week, goes to school full time, and takes care of the family when I can't.

Patrick is the smartest third grader I know, seriously, that kid is going to make millions one day. He's going to be an archaeologist. And a missionary. And a popstar. That kid is going to change the world. He has a fervor for life that keeps us all going. He loves God and it is projected through everything he does. He makes me want to be a better person. I want to be strong for him. I want to excel for him. I want him to have the life my older siblings and I didn't have. And he's going to.

Thanks for that Mom and Dad. Thanks for being strong for me. Thanks for showing me that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. And it is never, ever, ever too late to accomplish your dreams.

This semester has been hard for me. Everything was new and exciting for me, and for you guys, too. Being in Birmingham is wonderful, I love UAB, but it's been the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I love when I wake up and I have a voicemail from you guys just wishing me a good day. Or when I call Dad because I know he'll be the only person who will share my sense of humor in a too serious day. Or when I can count on Rhea to always say, "Screw them" when someone pisses me off, even if it's my fault. Or how Jeff always tells me what I don't wanna hear, exactly when I need to hear it. Or how Mom always tells me just to take a minute to breathe because God is with you even in the hardest of times, and you're gonna make it through. She's living proof of it. Patrick teaches me everyday what it means to love someone selflessly. What it means to just want to talk to someone. What it means to care about just how that person is doing.

Task by task, breath by breath, YOU'RE GONNA MAKE IT THROUGH. It takes faith in Christ, and a strong fortress to stand against, but it's not impossible.

The Goinses have been through some tough battles in their lives, but we're all okay. We're scarred, but we're not broken. We're hurt, but we know we're loved. They are all such hardworking, inspirational people and I am damn proud of it. (I know you hate it when I cuss Mom, but sorrrry). I am so blessed to have such a wonderful family. As finals come to the end, just know how amazing you are, and I'll be home in one week!

I love you guys 109! (-67)

P.S.
Deeder, Auck, Peeker, you guys are amazing! Pretty soon, we'll all be together, shaking presents, having dance parties, and eating cookies!



.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, MJ. Beautiful synopsis of the Goins life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can hardly write, because i am crying so much. you are so articulate, yet get that from grandma. thankyou. i can't wait til your home

    rubes

    ReplyDelete