January 12, 2014

Home Sweet Shoals

"Which one of you ladies turned the thermostat down out there?"

Inside Tuscumbia's Cold Water Books during last week's polar vortex, I sipped my vanilla latte and sought to learn more about the ongoings of Coates & Kennedy firm. During our interview, an older man stopped in, bought a copy of the local newspaper and cracked a joke in that way that only older people can. As I sat with these professional women, I just smiled and thought, This doesn't happen in Birmingham.  

Almost two hours later, I felt a tinge of embarrassment as I realized I had just told complete strangers about all my fears for spending the semester in Europe and how driving on O'Neal bridge made me reminisce the trips I had to take to the state trooper's office. Though I consider myself an open book, I usually don't bare it all in a professional setting. Instead of learning only about the business these women ran, I learned about their lives as well. They spoke to me about their experiences in college and travelling throughout Europe and even told me to add them on Facebook. I left with more than just business contacts--I gained friends (at least according to Facebook). 

On the way home as I crossed the bridge, I didn't think about the horrific lady at the DMV. Instead, I casually admired the way the street lights seemed to light up my hometown. I tried to sneak a picture, but after almost scraping the wall a few times, I decided against it. Seriously Florence, that bridge is way too narrow for cars made after 1930

*O'Neal Bridge--Florence, AL
 Just across that river is the coffee shop where I spent many Friday nights conspiring to leave this town. Around the corner is The Chicago Cafe, the restaurant my father literally built with his own two hands, the place I first learned the value of hard work--and that child labor laws don't apply to the family business.

As a "yankee," I hated spending my teenage years in a town that could be summed up in a country song. I wished everyday that we had a mall with more than one story, or at the very least a Starbucks kiosk. However at Rivertown Coffee Company, I didn't laugh when they wrote the wrong name of my cup because the owner (a friend of my father's) starting making my order as soon as I walked in the door. I hated having to drive 20 minutes to civilization, but now I like sleeping without the sound of helicopters every night. In high school, I loathed going to the grocery store and seeing everyone I went to school, church, and worked with--because they were all the same people. Living in a small city, I no longer have the luxury of convenience relationships with apartments, internships, and activities being spread across the Magic City.

Cold Water Books--Tuscumbia, AL

I always felt like there was "nothing cool" about the Shoals. Now I proudly tell people that Helen Keller is from here (Those of you telling Helen Keller jokes have nothing on us, we did a full unit on Keller in 9th grade). I think about the monthly art fest called "First Friday" where vendors would sell jewelry and paintings and many local bands (some of whom are now on the radio) got their first chance to play live. I think about how my father's role in organizing these events and how unique it was that I had the experience of assisting him. I think about the belly dancers who appear everywhere and the annual Renaissance Faire with its turkey legs and the people who come from all across the Southeast dressed up in Medieval attire. I remember taking pictures with Delmar dancing and receiving the most random gifts that Larry had come across. I smile as I think of the street corner preachers with their million dollar bills and hopes for redemption. 

At the beginning of my interview, one of the first things Ms. Coates said to me was, "I had to come back. I love this place."  I nodded, took a sip of my latte, and said something about it being "a great place to raise the kids." However as I've grown older, I've begun to see the appeal that lies in living in the area that houses Fame Studios and birthed the "Father of the Blues." 

When my mother asked me this morning if I was going to stay in Birmingham after I graduated or if I was going to move home, I just shrugged. The truth is, I still don't know whether I'll be here, there, the beach, or deworming children in Somalia. 

Right now, I couldn't be more proud to call the Renaissance city my home. I may be a yankee by birth and a city girl by choice, but there's something about the peace, history, and culture found in the Shoals that really can't be replicated anywhere else.

What can I say? This is my home. 



*Photo was found on Times Daily's website 
 **Author's Note: The Shoals is the part of North Alabama surrounding the Tennessee river, including Florence, Tuscumbia, Muscle Shoals, and Sheffield. 

1 comment:

  1. I love Shoals because it helped to raise such a wonderful woman. -LN4

    ReplyDelete