February 12, 2013

Southern Voice

Most of the people who know me now know that I went to high school in Florence, Alabama. My friends know that I was raised in the suburbs of Chicago. I could count on one hand the people who know that I grew up in Waterman, Illinois (a small farm town with a population of about 1,200 people, located 45 minutes west of Chicago).

Though I was born and raised above the Mason-Dixon Line, I can't help but notice that in the past seven years, the South has rubbed off on me a bit.

I will never refer to a soft drink as anything other than a pop or a soda. I will always enunciate the word "pen." I never really mastered the quiet Southern belle persona.

Maybe it's because I've been listening to Pandora's "Today's Country" station, but lately, I've found myself seeking the country lifestyle. There's something attractive about slowing down, sipping sweet tea, and spending your days with family.

This weekend, I went to the Gulf with my little to see her family. Though I now consider Birmingham home, it was nice to get outside of the city for a few days. It was nice to not be running to the next meeting or party. It was nice to completely ignore my agenda. It was nice to relax.

Saturday afternoon, we went to the beach for a couple of hours. The feeling a person gets when he or she goes to the beach is unlike any other. Personally, the beach is where I feel God the most.

Standing with my toes in the water, I was overcome with peace. I looked at my little sister and just laughed because in that moment, nothing mattered. In that moment, it seemed ludicrous that I struggled with anxiety. It seemed insane that I put so much time and energy into things that hurt me or stressed me out. It seemed ridiculous that I chase so many things, so often that really don't matter.

On the way home Sunday night, we listened to "Don't Blink" by Kenny Chesney. "Best start putting first things first, when your hourglass runs out of sand, you can't flip it over and start again."After I got back to my dorm, I noticed I had a letter from my grandmother in the mail. I almost cried because we don't talk much. My dad informs her about my life, but she doesn't really know me. There's nothing she knows about me that you can't find out on Facebook.

I haven't exactly made my family a priority in the past year. I go home once or twice a semester, and my parents come to see me about as much. I see my older brother once every six months. I'm lucky if I manage to see my extended family once a year. This isn't something I'm necessarily proud of, but I have spent the last year being pretty selfish.

I lived the high life, well, the college version. I told a friend of mine today, that I've already lived that life and I'm over it--I want something more. I don't care how well liked I am, or who likes my outfit, or if I'm seen as everyone's biggest competition.

This semester, I vowed to calm down a little. I've been focusing on discipline and it has been paying off-- I got an A on my first test, I've been sticking to my workout routine, and I'm even in the beginning stages of accomplishing my dream.

All this country is making me think, really, at the end of the day, what is important? At the end of my college career, what will I be regretting? At the end of my life, what will I be wishing I had done differently? Senator Paul Songas once said, "Nobody on his death bed ever said, 'I wish I would have spent more time at the office'"

They may not be deathly ill, but there is no denying that my grandparents are old. They could be on that deathbed any day now, and I want to be right there next to them. Then again, it could be me on my deathbed tomorrow... Or it could be you.

As you go through the motions of life, don't forget to make time for those who love you. Don't be afraid to slow down and enjoy life for a change. Don't blink.

No comments:

Post a Comment