January 5, 2011

Melodrama

I don't want to do this anymore. I don't want to play this game anymore. I don't want to walk around acting like I actually want to live the American dream. I want something more.

I don't want to earn an MBA and work in a fancy office somewhere. I don't want to work on Wall Street. I don't to be a professor at an Ivy League university. I want something more.

I want to feel alive.

I love that as a woman and a person of a low-income family that I have the opportunity to go to college. That's so awesome. Everyday, I am thankful for all my rights. I am thankful to be an American. Just because America is great doesn't mean we should neglect the rest of the world.

As a high school senior, everyone is asking me what I want to do with my life. I have three very short simple answers. I want to travel. I want to write. I want to help people.

I don't want a lot of money. I don't want to be a member of my local church and chamber of commerce. Those are very respectable, very important things, but I want more. I need more.

My parents are trying to make me into the things that they wish for themselves. They are wishing a better life on me. They just want me to successful by society's terms. I may seem like just another melodramatic writer, but I'd rather stick my head in the oven.

1 comment:

  1. I read this blog and I cant help relating it to my life. I think that the thing I like best about my life is that its challenging in many ways. The fact that many things are uncertain in my near future is scary but somehow exiting as im sure that whatever I do next is gonna result in my growth as a person, full of new experiences as I push my limits. Theres tons of people who want me to spend my next years trying to construct a comfortable life for myself, they frown as I tell them my aspirations of becoming a backpacker who carries his guitar around the world. I dont know what will become of me after colledge but one thing im sure of, i dont wanna become a self justified religious prat settled to a confortable life. Theres a world full of need and wonders right there at the edge of my confort zone and I m planning in spending every bit of my life getting to explore it and adressing its needs as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete