November 26, 2010

My Christmas List

It's Black Friday. Everyone knows what that means- Christmas season has officially started. Since everyone is doing their Christmas shopping, everyone is asking what they want for Christmas. What do I want for Christmas?

I want a truly free county.
I want a family that gets along.
I want Christ's love to be known in all the nations.
I want every hungry child fed. 
I want hyper-reality to end. 
I want women to feel safe.
I want men to be protectors, not perpetrators. 
I want world peace.

I could spend hours listing the problems of this world, but people will always look at me and say, "okay what do you really want?" I've got a more important question, why does it matter what I want?

Think of your life five years ago, did anything drastically change you? I'm sure something did, but I highly doubt it was a Bath and Body Works bath set. I doubt it was a gift certificate from Best Buy. I doubt it was that pair of pants you never wore. What impact will the presents you buy have on your loved ones in five years? Five months?

There's nothing wrong with buying presents for people-giving is a wonderful thing. What are you going to buy, though? What are you going to ask for? What are you going to do?

 I cannot be silent anymore. I cannot sit here and receive cute outfits and think how wonderful my life is. Don't get me wrong, my life is wonderful. I am blessed beyond understanding, but it's not about me. It's not about the stuff. It's not about any of this. It's about them. I encourage you as you are Christmas shopping this year, buy something that will change a life. Buy something that won't leave you or the recipient the same. Maybe you'll purchase an encouraging book, or donate to a charity, or even buy a gas card for someone who doesn't have a lot of money. It doesn't matter what you do, just do something.

http://www.kyampisi.org/Programmes/End-Child-Sacrifice.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment