February 8, 2009

Worst Week

I have just completed what may have been the longest week of my entire life. Monday night, my sister got in a tragic car accident, in which she sprained her wrist. Tuesday and Wednesday, I spent all night working on my research paper. Thursday, I had opening night for a play I was in for school. Friday, I got my first free night all week. As soon as I got home from school Friday I started planning a vacation with my mother, only to be stopped with some tragic news.

My best friend had attempted suicide, days before. I froze. I denied. I knew it was true, but I couldn't believe it. How could anyone expect me to accept that? I had loved her, and I had felt as if I had failed. Deep down I took all the blame. I was the only one who gave her hope and I hadn't been there for her. I found out that the day she had tried to overdose was her birthday. She was admitted to rehab on her birthday. What a present. I ended up being able to talk to her an hour later. We joked around a lot, but she wasn't okay. I knew it. On Saturday, we had another night for the play, which was about suicide, so fitting. I couldn't watch it. It was too much. Listening to it off stage killed me. By the time I had to go on, I calmed down though.

Another adventure I had on Saturday was taking my first shower in a dorm. It was a disgusting experience. I knew deep down I was going to get staph. You'd think my shower would have been short, but actually it was very long because I had to keep scrubbing in fear I'd contract a disease and die; it was atrocious.

I have decided that in a way, Valentine's Day is a very stupid holiday. As if we don't have enough reasons to waste money. It was invented by the card and chocolate companies. The only good part is that on the day after you get to go and buy chocolate for half price.

"Life has a funny way of helping you out" (Alanis Morrisette, "Ironic")

No comments:

Post a Comment